Wednesday, June 11, 2008

- An Introduction

I enjoy libations of all sorts. Particularly I like beer and bourbon. I also enjoy wine. I have long been interested in the notion of self-reliance, and have been growing my own vegetables the best that my living conditions allow. I have since decided to, and am now addicted to, creating my own fermented beverages. Unfortunately home-distillation is illegal, so for now I'll have to keep buying my bourbon. Beer and wine are another story.

An enthusiastic conversation originating around a campfire led me to seriously consider home-brewing. When I started looking around online there was an overwhelming plethora of technical information. I bought the brewers' bible, or something similar, which contained a great deal of information, but was confusingly full of mubojumbo. This at first discouraged me. My interest in brewing comes from elsewhere--partially the fact that I can do it-- a notion re-affirmed when I tasted a bottle of beer created by my friend, one of the original campfire discussion participants. It may have been the best I tasted up to that point. He learned the basics and devised the rest from experimentation, he didn't use books; he dove in head first. His beers continue to amaze me.

There's certainly a place for all the precision and anal-retentive homebrew heros, but it's not here. To me, experimentation is the key--not data-sets. I want to pull things from available resources and create enjoyable beverages, cheaply. I want to see what is possible without using brewshop ingedients (with the exception of yeast.) I want to explicitly utilize things available in nature, things commonly found in the woods, around the house, in the grocery store, at the local grist-mill, farm etc... The most fundamental piece of information is sugar + yeast = alcohol, the rest is a field day.

In my initial quest for useful information on a back-to-basics approach, there was little to be found (though there was enough to get me off and running.) Such is the purpose of this site: to document my experiments, successes and failures and perhaps add to the fermentation store-of-knowledge that has been building for thousands of years. Hopefully, you might even find something useful (if not entertaining.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE the idea of dandelion wine! I had it once a long time ago and it was one of the few wines I like. I just brewed a Hefa with a quart of local grown strawberries picked that day. If you don't like fruit in your beer you haven't tried this one! Let me know if you want to get together and brew some time. I have extra 5 gallon food grade buckets if you want to try to brew with as opposed to peice mealing it. I imagine that is a PIA. Call me.

Mateo

Unknown said...

BTW have you researched using spice bush leaves or sasafras? Those both have excellent native flavors.